Pages

Friday, August 1, 2014

The Gravel Pit – July 26 to August 1, 2014

Intro… Hello everyone! So I am actually starting to write this article early in the week so that I can hope to meet the deadline of a Friday release that I had previously established for myself.
So this week I had a good time, and enjoyed my time doing the many different things that I did. So onto what I did this week.

Saturday July 26, 2014

Parkour
So I started out my Saturday by going to my normal 11:30 Parkour class at BreathePK. When I got there I found out that Sylvia, someone whom I had practiced with at No Limits AFC. It was good to be able to catch up with her after a long time of having minimal contact. It was quite a big class this time as well, I think that there were about 14 people there which was AWESOME! Of the people there I only knew seven of them, but that isn’t too bad considering that three of the people there were new. I did get the chance to talk to one of the new people and found out his name, and a bit of his life story.
Brodie, the teacher of this class, started us off with a basic jumping jack warm up because of the large number of people that we had in the class, and then moved us on to a good series of stretches. After we had finished those we were ready to begin training.
Training was a little bit different this time than it has been in previous times as Brodie was trying something new with the class. This new thing was instead of splitting everyone up by their level, he provided a skill from each of the first three levels for everyone to practice and then let us choose what we wanted to practice, and then give us some more skills to work on later in the class let us choose again, and then repeat the process once more. Overall I think that it worked really well, and the rest of the class thought it was really good. (See this link if you don't know what the leveling system at BreathePK is.)
Throughout the day I worked on a good number of skills that I need to gain more experience in because I am just not that good at some of them. The skills that I worked on were my cranes, box jumps, wall runs, dive rolls, kongs, and hurdle jumps. Box jumps are nothing more than practicing jumping onto a box. What’s that? It sounds really lame?! Well, it is something you do to get better at jumping onto things and getting better at dashes, so they are so not lame. A hurdle jump is a basically a double step that you can use in numerous applications such as wall runs and some of the vaults we do.
While our class was going on there was also a break dancing class going on, so it was quite interesting to see some of them doing some of the things that they can do because many of them are very good.
A funny moment from the class was when I threw my shoe to Brodie and he pretended it was a football and he ran "the whole nine yards" through the gym with it. It was quite awesome, and provided a good memory.
Game Time
Later on in the day I went to a friend’s house to hang out and play games, which is an awesome thing to do in your free time!!! That is if you have free time, I don’t like not having free time.
So the first thing that we did that night was play a game called Pandemic, and own the game, which was awesome because apparently it can be hard to win this game, but we totally won, so TAKE THAT PANDEMIC!!!
The next thing that we did was play Nintendoland, which was a great game. We all took turns playing as the character who used the WiiU and had a blast playing until 10:00 at night.
So that was my Saturday, pretty awesome huh? I even got a picture of the people that I know from Parkour.

Sunday July 27, 2014

On Sunday I went to church as I usually do, and I hosted a dinner for people with a friend as I usually don’t do. My friend ended up doing most of the cooking and so we ended up having homemade pizza and Tex Mex salad, which were both superb. We had a group of 6 people show up so it was a great time full of riveting conversation, and funny stories.
That was my Sunday, now onto Monday.

Monday July 28, 2014

So on the last Monday of the month of July I had the chance and downright pleasure of playing twister. Outside. With slime used for the colored circles. It was both gross and awesome! We played two games of twister, had an awesome time and got slime all over us, because we kept pushing each other into the slime, and the organizer dumped the remaining slime onto us while we were playing. It was great disgusting fun that required a shower once I got home, but I had a blast.
Tuesday was a hot day, a very hot day, the temperature peaked in Calgary at about 32°C (90°F), and I don’t care where you are from, but that’s hot. My last day of employment is quickly approaching, and Tuesday was my third last day before the contract that I have with ABB Inc. is done. It is interesting having the feelings that I do about leaving the company after 14 months of employment in order to go to school. I am excited because I am able to take a break and then start up school again, but I am also nervous because I am starting school again and I want to do well. I am also completely moving away from home for the first time ever, which also makes me nervous. I know that it will be okay, and that I will do well at school as long as I work hard, but it still makes me nervous.
Middle of the day meal
Okay, I am done reflecting, on to what I did on Tuesday.
On Tuesday I went to lunch with a co-worker at a place called Rocky’s Burgers, it is a small standalone restaurant that is located at the Crossroads Farmers Market in Calgary and it is a place that makes AWESOME burgers. This co-worker of mine is from China, and, according to what she told me, the only reference to western food that they have in China is KFC, McDonalds, and one other restaurant that serves terrible examples of what kind of food we eat in the west, so having a burger from Rocky’s Burgers provided a great stand point for just how good Western food can be. The meat was moist, the bun was soft, the fries were fresh and all the food was hot off the grill, so it was a delicious meal.
After work Adventures
Once I finished work it was time for some Parkour, because it was Tuesday, and Tuesday is Parkour day. This day of Parkour was a little different than my usual Tuesday Parkour, because this time I went downtown for a Jam, a Jam is what a get together where you do Parkour is called. We started in a place called Century Gardens (see this link for the Google Maps location) and worked on some jumps and rolls before we went to two other places near the Telus Science Center.
The first place that we went to after Century Gardens is a place that we nicknamed “Josh’s favorite spot aka The Gravel Pit” because there are two gravel pits (see this link for the place in Google Maps). It was a great place for practicing things like Dive Kongs, and Kong where you “dive-jump” to get to the obstacle, other vaults, flips, and jumps. We spent about an hour there I think, so it was a good place to stop.
The second place that we went to was called the Lego blocks. Now unfortunately the area isn’t shown yet in Google Maps because it is still pretty new, but I will try to get a picture to show all of you, but you can still view the area at this link because it will show you where it is. This place was good for practicing strides, precisions, plyos, and bar-to-pre’s. Not quite as good as The Gravel Pit, but still a good area.
It was a hot Tuesday, but it was a good Tuesday, and I had an awesome time in downtown Calgary.

Wednesday July 30, 2014

Wednesday was another hot day, this heat seems to be a thing that isn’t going away and hopefully winter, or at least fall, returns soon. I only ended up doing a few things on Wednesday because that was just the way the day played out.
The first thing that I did was go to my second last day of work and have a bunch of people ask me what I am going to be doing in the month before I go to school, and telling me congratulations to me for getting into school. I also didn’t have any work to do, but that is what happens when you are this close to being done at your job.
For lunch a group of the people that I know from work and I went out for lunch to a Brazilian Barbeque or Churrasco place called Gaucho here in Calgary. We had a great time and had a wonderful lunch of Rump Steak, Garlic Top Sirloin, Pork Loin, Sausage, Chicken Wings, and Parmigiano Beef, and no, I didn’t remember all of those off the top of my head, I pulled the list off of their menu.
The next things that I did that day was go to a religion class that I usually have on Wednesday nights and learned about some stuff there that was on the subject of following up on things. This is something that applies to many different things, in religion, all working fields, family, school, etc so it was good to learn about the subject a little bit so that I can try to improve in that area.

Thursday July 31, 2014

Today was my last day of work at ABB and now I have a month to do stuff so that I will be ready for my move to Edmonton in the last week of August. Either that or I can do stuff like go to Drumheller, and Jasper, WOOOOOOOO!!!
My last day of work began really early as I wanted to go and ride the bike at work one last time. It was a good ride of the bike, and I was awake for the whole day because of it. For lunch I went out for lunch with my boss, father, and one other coworker. We went to a restaurant named Los Mariachis for a Mexican lunch, and had a very good lunch there. I have been to this place a few times and have enjoyed it each time. I really like the dish called El Cuatro and I would highly encourage trying this place out some time.
After work I went to MEC to do some awesome shopping, by awesome shopping I mean that I bought a pair of pants and an exercise shirt.
On to the final day of this post, the illustrious Friday.

Friday August 1, 2014

Today I didn’t do all that much but I did do some good things, and got some stuff done.
The first thing that I did sleep in, Hooray!
The second thing that I did was go for a sweet bike ride through Fish Creek Park down to the substation that is in between the two communities Douglasdale and Diamond Cove. It was pretty good, and I took some pictures of stuff like rocks. You can see the pictures on my Facebook page.
The third thing that I did was go to the Calgary Alberta Temple and spend about two hours there. Had a good time, and the inside has AC so it wasn’t hot, which was great.
The fourth thing that I did was get a little bit more shopping done. I went and bought some water balloons, and also some sweat pants for when winter rolls around.
After that I went home and finished writing my blog post for this week.

The End

Well, that was my week, let me know what you though. Let me know what you thought about my writing, let me know what you did this week. I love to read comments and I look forward to hearing from you.
Now for a quote!

Quote of the Week

Better to have a short life that is full of what you like doing than a long life spent in a miserable way.
      – Alan Watts
That is all, stay sweet everyone.
– Nathan Aris

No comments:

Post a Comment